A CHECK-IN WITH STUDENT LEADER IN SERVICE: SHOMA NATH '20

A CHECK-IN WITH STUDENT LEADER IN SERVICE: SHOMA NATH ’20

Major: Economics
Community Partner: Earth Matter

Earth Matter has taught me so much about not only food justice issues, but also about my personal journey of living a more sustainable life. Working with Earth Matter has been such a humbling experience, and I am so glad I got to be a part of their organization for the past year. Learning about different types of composting, working with animals, and physically seeing the amount of food waste created by people in New York City, really puts things into perspective, and was an important eye opener for me.

Bringing new volunteers to Earth Matter is always a unique experience. Taking a Ferry, walking through a virtually uninhabited island, and shoveling food scraps while there are chickens running around is something people don’t often experience when living in New York, but it is a great opportunity to reflect and get away from the city.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to have worked with SLS and I hope Pace will continue to volunteer with Earth Matter, even when I leave next semester. Being a part of SLS has been such an important part of my life for the past year and a half. Even though I am moving on from Pace University, whether it is the work I’ve done, the volunteers I have met, or the CCAR Family I have grown to love, Earth Matter and SLS will always be a part of me.

-SN