Pace Makes a Difference Day 2012: The Sharing Shelf

Hi everyone! My name is Dana and I am a student outreach coordinator at the CCAR’s Pleasantville office. This year I was a student representative on the Pace Makes a Difference Day committee and helped facilitate an event. I thought I would share my experiences with you.

Make a Difference Day is a day of service. The Pace University community runs a variety of service projects and different student groups, organizations, and individuals spend the day volunteering and making a difference.

My group was assigned to volunteer at the Sharing Shelf in Port Chester. The Sharing Shelf is a clothing donation center that collects new and gently used children’s clothing to distribute throughout Westchester County.

After Debra, the founder, shared information about the Sharing Shelf with us we split up into groups. Some of us sorted clothes by size and gender while others worked on assembling a coat rack and hanging and sorting winter jackets.

Volunteering at the Sharing Shelf was a great experience and the impact we made was very visible. We started with a huge pile of clothing needing to be sorted. By the end of the day we sorted through everything!

If you are interested in learning more about the Sharing Shelf you can visit their website here.