Meet the Candidates: Pete Buttigieg
By Vote Everywhere Ambassadors, Erin Wilson & Emma Beach
Welcome to ‘Meet the Candidates’! Every week until the New York primary we will post all the information you need to know about the Democratic candidates. This week, learn about Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
- Pete Buttigieg is a second-term mayor of South Bend Indiana. He was in the US Navy as a Reserve Officer from 2009-2017. He also did a seven-month tour in Afghanistan.
- Supports a single-payer healthcare system. Does not want to eliminate private insurance companies.
- Would like to implement a plan for better mental health care, specifically targeting addiction.
- Wants to lower drug prices.
- Supports DACA
- Opposed the border wall, but wants to increase security, including some sort of fencing.
- Supports Carbon Tax
- Wants to make jobs in the clean energy industry
- Wants to rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement
- Wants to repeal the Hyde Amendment
- Supports right to an abortion
- Is an opening gay mayor
- Supports the Federal Equality Act
- Wants to have laws banning workplace discrimination
- Wants to increase funding for historically black colleges
- Supports debt free colleges for lower income students
- Supports universal background checks
- Supports banning military style weapons
Criminal Justice Reforms
- Supports a plan including police reform.
Have questions about the 2020 Presidential race? Want to register to vote? Email our Vote Everywhere Ambassadors at email@example.com!