Students Reflect: Natalie Chevalier on the March for Our Lives

Natalie Chevalier ’18, Political Science & Business/Economics Minor

When 17 of my fellow community members, and MSD Eagles were taken from us on February 14, 2018 I was left feeling hopeless, angry, and incredibly sad. I had never experienced something like this so close to home, and I began to understand what so many Americans had been trying to tell us for years–enough is enough. So, I started emailing anyone I could think of on my school campus who could help me organize and educate my fellow classmates. That’s when I was linked to the Center for Community Action and Research. After working with this office I am a firm believer that every campus across America should have a similar initiative. Not only did we gather a group of students to march, but we dedicated an entire week to activities, including a seminar with the Executive Director of New Yorkers Against Violence. Being able to put my feelings into something productive, and making it the #MarchforOurLives with thousands of New Yorkers was incredibly powerful and rewarding. I didn’t realize how emotional the experience would be until I got there. Seeing children, parents with their babies, grandparents, and so many more come out in solidarity was incredibly moving. I will never forget my first march!