Join the PaceU #EverydayActivism Challenge!
What is the PaceU #EverydayActivism challenge?
For the month of April, students, staff, and faculty members will be pledging to commit to one personal action – either a daily habit or weekly action – to lessen their contributions to climate change or to have a positive environmental impact – and they’ll be sharing their journey along the way on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the official CCAR blog.
Issues like climate change can often feel overwhelming, even for those who feel deeply invested in preserving our planet and alleviating the many environmental and social impacts of our changing environment. From CAFOs to plastic pollution in the world’s oceans, activists across the globe are tackling some of those many facets from both the personal and policy perspectives, but we all play an important role in the daily choices we make. For example, Americans discard more than 30 million tons of plastic a year, and consume an unsustainable amount of meat while wasting up to 40% of the food grown, processed and transported in the U.S. By changing how we live, we can become “everyday activists”; by joining together, we can make a change.
“We don’t have to engage in grand, heroic actions to participate in the process of change. Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.” – Howard Zinn
How to participate:
- Choose your action! Check out #EverydayActivism for the actions others are choosing to commit to, or look through sites like dosomething.org and the UN’s website. Pick something doable, but challenging!
- Commit and share. Sharing your goals and progress will help you stay committed, and inspire others to take on the challenge as well. Let us know you’re in by filling out this form and/or reposting this image on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter with the action you’ve chosen and the hashtag #EverydayActivism. Follow @ccarnyc and @ccarplv to follow everyone else’s updates as well!
- Take action! Share your photos and experiences using the hashtag throughout the month.
- Support your fellow activists. Using the hashtag, you’ll be able to find all members of the Pace community participating in the challenge and support them by liking, commenting on, and sharing their posts. Help create a culture of action and engagement!
- Celebrate! At the end of the month, join all of the challenge participants for a celebratory get-together.
Questions? Contact Ashley at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, or if you’re interested in learning about more ways to get involved!